1 hr 17 mins
1 hr 5 mins
Ms. Cocobrown's Note:
The inspiration for this recipe came from a blog called The Southern Lady Cooks. I love banana bread, but banana and pumpkin bread is out of this world delicious. I love spelt flour and use it sometimes in place of regular all-purpose flour. I place the loaves into a cold oven and find that the bread turns out more moist this way and doesn't have such a large crack down the middle.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups organic white spelt flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup melted organic shortening, cooled
- 1 cup unrefined unbleached cane sugar
- 1 cup organic dark brown sugar, packed
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 2 bananas, well mashed
- 1/4 cup real buttermilk
- 1In a large bowl, add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and spices, stir to combine, then set aside.
- 2In another large bowl, add, melted shortening and both sugars and mix well.
- 3Add eggs, then beat well until mixture is creamy.
- 4Stir in pumpkin puree' and blend well to combine.
- 5Add bananas, stir, then add in buttermilk and blend thoroughly.
- 6Make a well in center of dry ingredients, then add wet ingredients and stir only until flour is moistened making sure not to over mix.
- 7Pour batter into two greased 9 by 5 loaf pans and place both into a Cold oven.
- 8Turn oven to 325 degrees and bake for 65 minutes or until a toothpick poked in center of loaf comes out clean.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin Banana Spelt Bread
Serving Size: 1 (98 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 339.9
- Calories from Fat 169
- Total Fat 18.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 62.2 mg
- Sodium 453.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 37.6 g
- Protein 2.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: