Prep 12 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
The inspiration for this recipe came from a blog called The Southern Lady Cooks. I love banana bread, but banana and pumpkin bread is out of this world delicious. I love spelt flour and use it sometimes in place of regular all-purpose flour. I place the loaves into a cold oven and find that the bread turns out more moist this way and doesn't have such a large crack down the middle.
- 3 cups organic white spelt flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup melted organic shortening, cooled
- 1 cup unrefined unbleached cane sugar
- 1 cup organic dark brown sugar, packed
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 2 bananas, well mashed
- 1⁄4 cup real buttermilk
- In a large bowl, add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and spices, stir to combine, then set aside.
- In another large bowl, add, melted shortening and both sugars and mix well.
- Add eggs, then beat well until mixture is creamy.
- Stir in pumpkin puree' and blend well to combine.
- Add bananas, stir, then add in buttermilk and blend thoroughly.
- Make a well in center of dry ingredients, then add wet ingredients and stir only until flour is moistened making sure not to over mix.
- Pour batter into two greased 9 by 5 loaf pans and place both into a Cold oven.
- Turn oven to 325 degrees and bake for 65 minutes or until a toothpick poked in center of loaf comes out clean.