Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is a low-fat version but you do not have to use low-fat ingredients.
- 2 cups low-fat graham crackers, crumbs
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
- 1 cup light brown sugar, loosely packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 extra large egg yolks, plus
- 1 carton Egg Beaters egg substitute
- 1 package plain gelatin powder
- 1 ripe banana, finely mashed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free whipped topping
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fat-free whipped topping
- To make crust: Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar, cinnamon and margarine in a bowl and mix well.
- Spoon into an 11-inch round (or 9"x11" rectangular) tart pan and press evenly onto sides and bottom.
- Bake 10 minutes; remove from oven and cool to room temperature on a wire rack.
- To make filling: Heat the fat-free half-and-half, pumpkin, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a double boiler (or a heatproof bowl over simmering water) until hot, about 5 minutes.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks and Egg Beaters.
- Stir half of the pumpkin mixture into the eggs, then pour the egg-pumpkin mixture back into the top of the double boiler and stir well.
- Heat over simmering water for another 4 to 5 minutes, until the mixture begins to thicken, stirring constantly.
- Dissolve the gelatin in 1/4 cup cold water.
- Remove the pumpkin mixture from the heat and add the gelatin, banana and orange zest.
- Mix well.
- Set aside to cool.
- Fold the fat-free whipped topping into the pumpkin mixture (flavor whipped topping with 1 teaspoon of vanilla, if desired).
- Carefully pour into the cooled tart shell and chill for 2 hours or overnight.
- To prepare garnish: If desired, add 1 teaspoon of vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon of orange zest to the fat-free whipped topping.
- Remove tart from refrigerator; using a pastry bag or small spoon, decorate edge of the tart with whipped topping.
- Sprinkle with extra orange zest if desired.
- Serve immediately.
I made the "full fat" version from The Barefoot Contessa cookbook. The flavor of this tart is lovely, it's like a lighter version of pumpkin pie with the subtle flavorings of banana and orange zest. It's a wonderful tart, I would highly recommend making either version.