1/1 Photo of Pumpkin, Banana and Chickpea Curry
1 hr 10 mins
A delightful mix of tastes and textures!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons sunflower oil (or olive oil)
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 cup red pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 lbs pumpkin, peeled, seeded and cubed (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons hot curry paste
- 1 cup tomato sauce (or 2 ripe tomatoes chopped)
- 2 dried red chilies
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable stock (or chicken broth)
- 1 3/4 cups canned chick-peas, drained
- 1 large banana
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro or 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, to garnish
- 1Place the pumpkin in a bowl, add the curry paste and toss well to coat the pumpkin evenly.
- 2Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a saucepan. Add the onion, garlic, red pepper, ginger and ground spices and fry over a medium heat for 5-6 minutes until the onion is lightly browned. Remove mixture to a bowl.
- 3In the same frying pan, add the pureed tomatoes, chilies and stock to the onion mixture, and bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in another frying pan, add the coated pumpkin and fry for 5 minutes until golden.
- 5Add into the tomato/onion sauce along with the chickpeas, cover and cook for 20 minutes until the pumpkin is tender.
- 6Peel the banana, slice thickly and stir into the curry 5 mins before the end of the cooking time.
- 7Stir in the chopped cilantro or parsley, and sprinkle the pine nuts over the top.
- 8Serve immediately.
- 9This would be good served with rice and lentils.
- 11Serves 3 hungry or 4 otherwise.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin, Banana and Chickpea Curry
Serving Size: 1 (435 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 449.3
- Calories from Fat 216
- Total Fat 24.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 643.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.2 g
- Sugars 12.1 g
- Protein 11.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: