Recipe by Janet W
My friend gave me this Recipe last year when I was looking for something to bring to Thanksgiving dinner...It came from a Martha Stewart magazine..It takes some time to prep but well worth it...YUM YUM
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 cups diced peeled cored granny smith apples
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cut into pcs. room temperature
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- For Apples: Melt butter in large non-stick skillet over med-high heat.
- Add apples, saute until apples begin to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add sugar, cinnamon and saute' until golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- For Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F; butter 9" springform pan.
- Combine flour, brown sugar, butter and salt in large bowl.
- Using electric mixer beat until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Set aside 2/3 cup of mixture for topping.
- Beat pumpkin, sour cream 2 TBPS sugar, spice and baking soda into remaining flour mixture, beating just until smooth.
- Beat in eggs, transfer batter to pan.
- Scatter apples evenly over top.
- Sprinkle reserved topping over apples.
- Bake until topping s golden brown and tester comes out clean about 1 HOUR 10 minutes.
- Cool cake in pan on rack 20 minutes, Run knife around pan sides to loosen cake.
- Release pan sides from cake.