Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A nice soup to start a turkey dinner. Can be made a day ahead. If it thickens a little, thin it with a little stock.
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups cooked pumpkin or 3 cups canned pumpkin puree
- 4 tart apples, cored & chopped (such as northern spy)
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- Toast pine nuts in heavy skillet 5 - 7 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onions, garlic & ginger; cook 3 - 5 minutes till onions are soft.
- Stir in stock, pumpkin & apples and bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cook, covered, for 15 minutes until apples are tender.
- Puree soup with an immersion blender.
- Stir in Half & Half.
- Season with Salt & Pepper.
- Garnish with a swirl of sour cream and a sprinkle of pine nuts.