Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
A nutritious bread that's good for breakfast, tea, or even dessert! It's also a really good way to not waste Jack-O-Lantern leftovers. I use the scooped innards for the pumpkin puree, though canned pumpkin would be fine too.
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 cups brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 3 small apples, peeled cored and diced
- 1 cup flax seed
- 1⁄2 cup pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and sugar together in one bowl, making sure there are no lumps of sugar.
- Combine pumpkin, eggs, applesauce, apple juice and sugar together in a different bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet.
- Add the flax seeds and diced apple.
- Pour into two greased loaf pans, and sprinkle the pumpkin seeds on the top of the loaves.
- Bake for about an hour to an hour and a half.