Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is apparently from Gourmet Cookbook, but I found it online awhile ago. It is so good, and a departure from the usual pumpkin bread, with the addition of apples and a cinnamon sugar topping. The perfect way to start autumn. Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 (15 ounce) can solid-pack pumpkin
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and chopped (2 cups)
- Blend together flour, sugar, cinnamon, and butter in a small bowl with your fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Put a rack in the middle of oven and preheat oven to 350°F Butter two 9 X 5 inch loaf pans.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and allspice into a medium bowl.
- Whisk together pumpkin, oil, sugar, and eggs in a large bowl. Add flour mixture, stirring until well combined. Fold in apples.
- Divide batter between buttered loaf pans. Sprinkle half of topping evenly over each loaf.
- Bake until a wooden pick or skewer inserted in center of bread comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes.
- Cool loves in pans on a rack for 45 minutes, then turn out onto rack and cool completely, about 1 hour.