Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
The tart apples and ginger keep this dish from being too sweet. It is a welcome change from the ubiquitous sweet potato casserole for the holidays. And it is a wonderful complement to poultry, pork or lamb.
- 3 lbs pumpkin, peeled and cut in 1 inch cubes
- 3 medium tart apples, cored and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- oil, for baking pan
- 2 tablespoons cold butter, cut in small pieces
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄4 cup candied ginger, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Steam pumpkin cubes just until fork-tender.
- Combine 6 cups pumpkin cubes and apples in a bowl.
- Toss with sugar and salt and transfer to baking pan that has been lightly oiled.
- Dot with the butter.
- Combine pecans, candied ginger and ground ginger.
- Sprinkle pecan mixture on top of pumpkin in baking dish and bake for 15 minutes, uncovered, in preheated oven.