Prep 2 hrs
Cook 50 mins
Recipe is from Eat Better America. Preparation time includes cooling time for cake.
- 1 (1 lb) boxwhite angel food cake mix
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 3⁄4 cup from 15-oz can pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 (8 ounce) container frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- Move oven rack to lowest position; heat oven to 350°F In extra-large glass or metal bowl, beat all cake ingredients with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 1 minute. Pour into ungreased 10-inch angel food (tube) cake pan.
- Bake 37 to 47 minutes or until crust is dark golden brown and cracks are dry. Immediately turn pan upside down onto heatproof funnel or glass bottle. Let hang about 2 hours or until cake is completely cool. Loosen cake from side of pan with knife or long metal spatula. Turn cake upside down onto serving plate.
- In medium bowl, gently mix whipped topping and ginger. Cut cake horizontally in half to make 2 even layers. Spread half of the filling on bottom layer; replace top of cake. Spread remaining filling on top of cake. Sprinkle with additional pumpkin pie spice if desired. Refrigerate any remaining cake.
if you put this in a 10-inch angel food(tube) cake pan it will leak out the bottom. The only thing you can bake in that pan is an angel food cake.