Recipe by Mercy
From "The Best Slow Cooker Cookbook Ever"
Top Review by Misty G
Very tasty, even with my experimentation. I used a grain bread that was drying out in the fridge, (white) cooking wine instead of sherry, & for milk I partly used dried milk mix since I didn't have enough regular milk for the recipe. I did sprinkle a touch of salt after reading Debbie's review. Seemed a little mushy, probably because of the type of bread I used, but I still liked it. The cooking times were perfect (1 1/4 hours w/lid 20 mins w/o lid), which is unusual because my crockpot usually cooks faster than what is called for.
- 3 eggs
- 1 (16 ounce) can solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 tablespoons sweet sherry
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cups packed 3/4 inch cubes Italian bread or 3 cups French bread or 3 cups sourdough bread
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until smooth.
- Whisk in the pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves until well mixed.
- Whisk in the sherry, sugar, and milk until smooth.
- Stir in the bread cubes and nuts.
- Turn the mixture into a 3 1/2-quart electric slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on the high heat setting 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 hours, or until puffed (do not cook on the low heat setting for a longer time).
- Remove the lid and continue cooking on high 20 to 30 minutes longer.
- Serve warm or at room temperature, topped with heavy cream.