Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
From San Joaquin Magazine.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup plain flour
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups peeled and diced pumpkin
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup or 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 lb uncooked small shrimp, peeled
- Melt butter in a heavy large saucepan, over medium-low heat.
- Add onion and cook until transparent, stir occasionally for about 10 minutes.
- Add flour and stir 3 minutes.
- Add stock and bring to a boil, stir constantly.
- Add squash and bay leaves, simmer until squash is very tender, about 15 minutes.
- Blend in can of soup and whipping cream.
- Season to taste and remove bay leaves.
- Puree soup in blender.
- Before serving add shrimp and heat on low.
- Butternut squash can be substituted for pumpkin. Sprinkle with nutmeg.