- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 lb fresh pumpkin flesh
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mild curry powder
- 1 pinch dried thyme
- 5 cups chicken broth or 5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 -3 tablespoons cream
- 4 ounces german salami, chopped (such as Abraham brand)
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- flat leaf parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan and gently sauté the pumpkin with the onion and garlic for about 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the curry and thyme and cook for one minute then stir in the stock.
- Bring to the boil, season and simmer, partially covered, for about 15 to 20 minutes until the flesh is very soft.
- Strain off the liquid and reserve.
- Pass the solids through a food processor or blender and blend until smooth, adding the reserved liquid.
- Return to the pan and bring back to the boil.
- Stir in the cream and then check the seasoning.
- Pour into warmed soup plates and gently stir through the salami pieces. Sprinkle with the parsley leaves and serve with chunks of German rye bread.