Recipe by Shirl (J) 831
This elegant combination of creamy golden rice and orange pumpkin can be made as pale or as bright as you like - simply add different quantities of saffron. This recipe is from my low fat, low cholesterol book.
- 5 cups vegetable broth or 5 cups water
- 1 pinch saffron thread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 lbs fresh pumpkin, peeled, seeded and cut in 1/4-inch cubes
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 7⁄8 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons fine grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup pistachios
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh marjoram or 3 tablespoons oregano
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring to boil broth or water, reduce to simmer.
- Ladle a little liquid into small bowl.
- Add the saffron threads and leave to infuse.
- Heat the oil in pan, add the onion and garlic, cook 5 minutes till soft.
- Add the pumpkin and rice and cook few minutes more till rice looks transparent.
- Pour in the wine and allow it to boil hard.
- When it is absorbed add a quarter of the broth or water and the infused saffron and liquid.
- Stir just till all the liquid is absorbed.
- Gradually add a ladleful of broth or water at a time, allowing the rice to absorb the liquid before adding more and stir constantly.
- Cook the rice for about 25-30 minutes, till al dente.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese, cover the pan and leave to stand 5 minutes.
- To finish, stir in the pistachios and marjoram or oregano.
- Season with salt and pepper and nutmeg.