Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This orange scented jam has a great color and subtle, spiced flavor. It is as tasty served with savory foods, such as tangy blue cheese, as it is spread on toast. Choose smaller, denser pumpkins with smooth flesh like sugar or cheese pumpkins for the best results.
- Add the pumpkin and apple to a large saucepan.
- Pour in 1/4 cup of water (just enough to keep the pumpkin from sticking and burning). Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 to 20 minutes or until pumpkin is soft.
- Mash coarsely with a potato masher or fork, keeping a few chunks of pumpkin whole.
- Add the sugar, lemon and orange juice, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Stir until all the sugar has dissolved. Turn the heat up and bring to a boil.
- Cook at a rolling boil for 15 to 20 minutes or until the jam thickens and reaches the setting point.
- Remove the pan from the heat while testing for the set.
- Ladle into prepared jars leaving a 1/4" headspace. process jars for 10 minutes in a boiling water bath. Adjust time according to your altitude.
- Makes: 8 half pints.