Recipe by 1crazypotato
I have only made this soup once, but it was delicious. It is an interesting soup, with a blend of curry and basil. I got it from a New Zealand health food book.
Top Review by karen in tbay
I used your recipe for the base of using up frozen pureed pumpkin and a bag of zuke coleslaw. Didn't have the garam masala so I tossed in dashes of cumin, cinnamon.....I was surprised the children liked it since the spices were a change from the normal garlic, oniony flavors of most of our dishes that we cook. I also used chicken broth and added in some sour cream. Its the next day and I always revamp leftovers and so I added a can of tomatoes to this pureed soup and it was wonderful.
- 750 g peeled pumpkin
- 550 g peeled kumara (sweet potato)
- 6 cups water
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop the pumpkin and kumara into 3cm dice. Place in a large saucepan with all remaining ingredients.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 25-30 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Mash thoroughly with a potato masher.
- Serve with yougurt and a sprinkle of coriander or parsley.