From Wolfgang Puck. Make sure to let baked lasagna sit for 10 minutes to let layers settle, for easier serving. Serve with a green salad and crusty bread. Can also be served as an appetizer (serves 10)
- 1 lb dry lasagna noodle
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 ounces fresh goat cheese, soft and creamy type
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch nutmeg, freshly grated
- 29 ounces canned pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage leaf, chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup mascarpone
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh goat cheese, creamy
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Prepare the lasagna noodles: Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil and fill a large mixing bowl with ice and water. Boil the noodles until al dente, tender but still very chewy, about 8 minutes. Drain them and immediately transfer to the bowl of ice water.
- Lightly oil a baking sheet with some olive oil. Drain the noodles from the ice water and arrange them in a single layer on the baking sheet, not overlapping. Set aside.
- While the noodles are cooking, start the Bechamel Sauce: In a large saucepan over low heat, melt the butter. Stirring continuously with a wire whisk, sprinkle in the flour; continue cooking, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes. Whisking briskly, slowly pour in the milk. Stir in the goat cheese, salt and pinch of nutmeg. Bring to a gentle simmer and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until thick and creamy, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- To make the Filling: In a large mixing bowl, combine the pumpkin puree, thyme, sage, nutmeg, 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, mascarpone, 1/4 cup Parmesan, brown sugar, goat cheese, salt and pepper. Stir with a wooden spoon until thoroughly combined.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- For the Lasagna Assembly: Lightly coat the inside of a 13-by-9-by-3-inch lasagna pan with nonstick cooking spray. Spread a third of the pumpkin mixture on the bottom of the pan. Cover with a layer of lasagna noodles, placed lengthwise side by side. Spread another third of the filling over the noodles, and top with 3/4 cup of Bechamel. Top with another layer of pasta, the remaining filling, and another 3/4 cup of Bechamel. Cover with a final layer of noodles and all the remaining Bechamel. Evenly sprinkle with the 1/2 cup each of breadcrumbs and Parmesan.
- Spray a sheet of aluminum foil with nonstick spray and place it sprayed side down over the lasagna pan, folding the edges over.
- Bake until the lasagna is heated through and bubbling, about 40 minutes. Remove the foil and bake until the topping is golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let the lasagna settle for 10 minutes. With a sharp knife, cut it into rectangles or squares. Use a spatula to transfer them from the pan to serving plates.