Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
A warming soup for a chilly day,lovely for a Winter dinner party!
- 60 ml butter
- 5 ml sunflower oil
- 30 ml grated fresh ginger or 10 ml ginger paste
- 1 kg pumpkin, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 large parsnips, peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 sprig celery leaves
- 7 ml medium-strength curry powder
- 2 ml dried chili pepper flakes
- freshly grated nutmeg
- 30 ml cornflour (for thickening)
- 500 ml homemade chicken stock
- 500 ml milk
- milled black pepper
- 60 -125 ml cream
- Heat butter and oil until foaming in a large, heavy-based saucepan.
- Add ginger, vegetables, curry powder and spices.
- Stir-fry for 2-5 minutes .
- Then cover and cook very gently over low heat until vegetables have softened, 15-30 minutes , depending on size of chunks.
- Stir with a wooden spoon from time to time.
- Sprinkle with cornflour and stir in.
- Gradually add chicken stock, then milk, stirring constantly.
- Continue cooking, stirring, until soup thickens slightly and comes to the boil.
- Remove from stove and cool for 10-15 minutes .
- Process, blend or purée until smooth.
- Return to saucepan and reheat over low heat.
- Season to taste.
- Stir in cream and serve in piping hot soup bowls.
- I serve this with nice crusty rolls.
Excellent recipe. I was missing the celery leaves, but it was still a wonderful warming winter soup.
LOW FAT VERSION: I steamed my the pumpkin, parsnips, and carrots then sauteed the ongions,ginger, & spices in 1 tablespoon of olive oil & then added the steamed (mashed) vegetables and cooked on a low heat adding water if it started to dry out. I used skim milk & fat free broth. Instead of cream I served the soup with a spoonful of low fat sour cream. Low fat but still kept the excellent flavour. A must try. TIP: To remove the skin from the ginger I scraped it with the edge of a soup spoon.
This is superb. The smell of the vegetables and ginger stir frying is 'wow'! My non eating vegetable son ate the lot, and that always makes me happy, lol Will definitely make this again.