1 hr 5 mins
Norahs Girl's Note:
A warming soup for a chilly day,lovely for a Winter dinner party!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 60 ml butter
- 5 ml sunflower oil
- 30 ml grated fresh ginger or 10 ml ginger paste
- 1 kg pumpkin, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 large parsnips, peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 sprig celery leaves
- 7 ml medium-strength curry powder
- 2 ml dried chili pepper flakes
- freshly grated nutmeg
- 30 ml cornflour (for thickening)
- 500 ml homemade chicken stock
- 500 ml milk
- milled black pepper
- 60 -125 ml cream
- 1Heat butter and oil until foaming in a large, heavy-based saucepan.
- 2Add ginger, vegetables, curry powder and spices.
- 3Stir-fry for 2-5 minutes .
- 4Then cover and cook very gently over low heat until vegetables have softened, 15-30 minutes , depending on size of chunks.
- 5Stir with a wooden spoon from time to time.
- 6Sprinkle with cornflour and stir in.
- 7Gradually add chicken stock, then milk, stirring constantly.
- 8Continue cooking, stirring, until soup thickens slightly and comes to the boil.
- 9Remove from stove and cool for 10-15 minutes .
- 10Process, blend or purée until smooth.
- 11Return to saucepan and reheat over low heat.
- 12Season to taste.
- 13Stir in cream and serve in piping hot soup bowls.
- 14I serve this with nice crusty rolls.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin and Ginger Soup
Serving Size: 1 (408 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 386.5
- Calories from Fat 214
- Total Fat 23.8 g
- Saturated Fat 13.7 g
- Cholesterol 65.9 mg
- Sodium 1019.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 13.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: