Recipe by Wild Thyme Flour
Found this recipe online and decided to post it here for safe keeping. Make sure you cook the pumpkin well before adding the sugar or the pieces will remain hard. I grated the pumpkin.
- 1 kg chopped up pumpkin flesh
- 50 -70 g peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 1 lemon
- 200 ml water
- 500 g jam sugar (with added pectin)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the lemon, pat dry and grate the zest. Remove the white pith and discard. Cut the lemon flesh into smaller pieces.
- Place pumpkin, water, lemon flesh and grated ginger into a heavy-bottomed saucepan and cook on a low heat, covered, until the pumpkin flesh is softened. Remove the lid for the last 5 to 10 minutes, so the extra moisture could evaporate.
- Smash the pumpkin flesh with a wooden spoon until broken (or press through a fine sieve, if you want a very smooth jam).
- Add the jam sugar and grated lemon zest, and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Spoon the hot jam into sterilised jars and close immediately.