This recipe was published in my local paper, and adapted from The "New England Soup Factory Cookbook" by Marjorie Druker and Clara Silverstein. The sherried cranberries are what make the recipe pop. Prep time does not include time to soak the cranberries.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup cream sherry
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 large Spanish onion, peeled and diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 5 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 (16 ounce) cans pumpkin
- 8 cups chicken stock or 8 cups vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1Place the cranberries in a glass or ceramic bowl and add sherry. Cover the bowl and let the cranberries soak at least 2 hours or overnight.
- 2In a stockpot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and carrots and saute 5 minutes.
- 3Add the pumpkin, stock, brown sugar, maple syrup and nutmeg and bring to a boil.
- 4Reduce the heat to medium and simmer 30 minutes.
- 5Remove from heat and puree or blend until creamy.
- 6Add the cream and the cranberries with the soaking liquid.
- 7Season with salt and pepper and stir well.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin and Cranberry Soup
Serving Size: 1 (379 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 289.9
- Calories from Fat 137
- Total Fat 15.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.8 g
- Cholesterol 47.2 mg
- Sodium 315.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 18.3 g
- Protein 6.1 g