Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe was published in my local paper, and adapted from The "New England Soup Factory Cookbook" by Marjorie Druker and Clara Silverstein. The sherried cranberries are what make the recipe pop. Prep time does not include time to soak the cranberries.
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup cream sherry
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 large Spanish onion, peeled and diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 5 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 (16 ounce) cans pumpkin
- 8 cups chicken stock or 8 cups vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the cranberries in a glass or ceramic bowl and add sherry. Cover the bowl and let the cranberries soak at least 2 hours or overnight.
- In a stockpot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and carrots and saute 5 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin, stock, brown sugar, maple syrup and nutmeg and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and puree or blend until creamy.
- Add the cream and the cranberries with the soaking liquid.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir well.