1 hr 10 mins
My Private Note
9inch b ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 large egg
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 8 -12 ounces canned solid-pack pumpkin (or fresh pumpkin)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 3/4 ounces all-purpose flour (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fine-ground cornmeal (not coarse, 3 1/4 oz)
- sifted powdered sugar, garnish
- 1Position oven rack in middle of oven, preheat to 350 degrees.
- 2Butter a 9-inch bundt pan.
- 3With a mixer and paddle attachment, beat butter, zest and sugar until light and fluffy- about 3 minutes.
- 4One at a time, add egg and egg yolks, beating well and scraping sides of bowl after each addition.
- 5Beat in pumpkin and vanilla.
- 6Sift together flour, baking powder and salt, stir in cornmeal.
- 7Add dry mixture to pumpkin batter in 3 staqges, stirring gently but thoroughly with rubber spatula after each addition.
- 8Do not overwork batter.
- 9In a clean bowl, whip egg whites to soft peaks.
- 10Gently fold whites into batter with spatula until there are no longer any white streaks.
- 11Scrape batter into pan, smooth surface.
- 12Bake until top is springy when lightly touched, the sides should be pulling away from the pan and a wooden skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean- about 40-50 minutes.
- 13Let cool for 20 minutes and then invert cake onto a rack to cool completely.
- 14Dust with powdered sugar if you like.
- 15For Orange Syrup: In a small saucepan over low heat, combine orange juice and sugar, stirring until sugar has dissolved.
- 16Boil without stirring for 2 minutes.
- 17Serve each slice with a drizzle of warm syrup accompanied by yougurt or vanilla ice cream.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin and Cornmeal Cake
Serving Size: 1 (127 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 340.6
- Calories from Fat 153
- Total Fat 17.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 93.5 mg
- Sodium 176.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 26.7 g
- Protein 4.1 g