1 hr 10 mins
My Private Note
9inch b ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 large egg
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 8 -12 ounces canned solid-pack pumpkin (or fresh pumpkin)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 3/4 ounces all-purpose flour (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fine-ground cornmeal (not coarse, 3 1/4 oz)
- sifted powdered sugar, garnish
- 1Position oven rack in middle of oven, preheat to 350 degrees.
- 2Butter a 9-inch bundt pan.
- 3With a mixer and paddle attachment, beat butter, zest and sugar until light and fluffy- about 3 minutes.
- 4One at a time, add egg and egg yolks, beating well and scraping sides of bowl after each addition.
- 5Beat in pumpkin and vanilla.
- 6Sift together flour, baking powder and salt, stir in cornmeal.
- 7Add dry mixture to pumpkin batter in 3 staqges, stirring gently but thoroughly with rubber spatula after each addition.
- 8Do not overwork batter.
- 9In a clean bowl, whip egg whites to soft peaks.
- 10Gently fold whites into batter with spatula until there are no longer any white streaks.
- 11Scrape batter into pan, smooth surface.
- 12Bake until top is springy when lightly touched, the sides should be pulling away from the pan and a wooden skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean- about 40-50 minutes.
- 13Let cool for 20 minutes and then invert cake onto a rack to cool completely.
- 14Dust with powdered sugar if you like.
- 15For Orange Syrup: In a small saucepan over low heat, combine orange juice and sugar, stirring until sugar has dissolved.
- 16Boil without stirring for 2 minutes.
- 17Serve each slice with a drizzle of warm syrup accompanied by yougurt or vanilla ice cream.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin and Cornmeal Cake
Serving Size: 1 (127 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 340.6
- Calories from Fat 153
- Total Fat 17.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 93.5 mg
- Sodium 176.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 26.7 g
- Protein 4.1 g