Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Another great cake from Fine Cooking Magazine. Beautiful color and texture. The amount of pumpkin can be varied - additional pumpkin will make it more moist. This is fabulous served with Burnt Orange Caramel Sauce (Burnt Orange Caramel Sauce)
- 1⁄2 lb unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 large egg
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 8 -12 ounces canned solid-pack pumpkin (or fresh pumpkin)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 3⁄4 ounces all-purpose flour (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup fine-ground cornmeal (not coarse, 3 1/4 oz)
- sifted powdered sugar, garnish
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- yogurt or vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Position oven rack in middle of oven, preheat to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 9-inch bundt pan.
- With a mixer and paddle attachment, beat butter, zest and sugar until light and fluffy- about 3 minutes.
- One at a time, add egg and egg yolks, beating well and scraping sides of bowl after each addition.
- Beat in pumpkin and vanilla.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt, stir in cornmeal.
- Add dry mixture to pumpkin batter in 3 staqges, stirring gently but thoroughly with rubber spatula after each addition.
- Do not overwork batter.
- In a clean bowl, whip egg whites to soft peaks.
- Gently fold whites into batter with spatula until there are no longer any white streaks.
- Scrape batter into pan, smooth surface.
- Bake until top is springy when lightly touched, the sides should be pulling away from the pan and a wooden skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean- about 40-50 minutes.
- Let cool for 20 minutes and then invert cake onto a rack to cool completely.
- Dust with powdered sugar if you like.
- For Orange Syrup: In a small saucepan over low heat, combine orange juice and sugar, stirring until sugar has dissolved.
- Boil without stirring for 2 minutes.
- Serve each slice with a drizzle of warm syrup accompanied by yougurt or vanilla ice cream.