Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
From Cooking with Campfire: Recipes from the Heartland
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 red chile, seede and coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 (14 ounce) can solid pack pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 -2 tablespoon lemon juice or 1 -2 tablespoon lime juice
- salt and pepper
- coarsely chopped cilantro (to garnish)
- Heat the oil in a saucepan.
- Strip the thyme leaves from the sprigs and add to the oil with the garlic, chili and cumin seeds.
- Saute gently for 2 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin, sugar, stock and coconut milk and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Add the lemon or lime juice, season to taste with salt and pepper, then serve scattered with the chopped cilantro.