Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Very easy to make, this American style cornbread makes a great snack served warm from the oven.
- 100 g plain flour
- 175 g cornmeal or 175 g fine polenta
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 250 g coarse grated pumpkin
- 4 tablespoons snipped chives
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 200 ml milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Heat oven to 200°C
- Generously grease a 20cm square, shallow tin.
- Mix cornmeal with flour, baking powder, sugar, pumpkin, chives and salt.
- Make a well in the middle and add the milk, eggs and butter; Stir to mix.
- Pour in tin and bake for 20 - 25 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.
- Rest in the tin for five minutes and then turn out onto a metal rack.