Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Recipe from Womens Weekly magazine and stated to be from the WW "Pantry" cookbook. A simple vegetarian recipe. Be sure to drain and rinse your chickpeas to get rid of the brine
- 600 g jap pumpkin, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium sized red onion, sliced thinly
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 400 g crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup water or 1⁄2 cup vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 400 g chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
- Preheat oven to 220°C.
- Place the pumpkin in a single layer onto an oven tray. Drizzle with half of the oil. Roast uncovered for 20 minutes or until tender. Remove any skins.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large saucepan. Cook the onion and garlic, stirring, until the onion softens. Add the tomato paste and cook a further minute.
- Add the vinegar, undrained tomatoes, water (or stock), allspice, chickpeas and pumpkin. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve ratatouile over couscous or quinoa. Garnish by sprinkling over some fresh herbs such as parsley or basil.
Tried this last night and it was delicious.
Oh my, this is soooooooo good!!!! My sis and me had this for dinner yesterday and we are still raving about it. :) The taste of the allspice with the sweet pumpkin, sharp onion and earthy chickpeas is so yummy! Parsley on top adds a wonderful contrast. The only change I made was to leave out the red wine vinegar and using a green hokkaido squash in place of the jap. I really dont know how one could not like this. It is easy to prepare, rather quick, very healthy and soooooo good! THANKS SO MUCH for sharing this wonderful recipe with us, Jubes! Made and reviewed for Make My Recipe #11 April 2010 and the Soup, Salad, Sandwich event in the Photo Forum.
This was an easy and tasty dish...roasting the pumpkin gave it a lovely sweet flavour. I added some dried chili flakes in step 4 and threw in some extra all spice. Although nice, next time I would cut back on the red wine vinegar. Made for Aussie recipe Swap #31 :)