Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a recipe from Bon Appetit Nov 08 issue. I did not want to lose this one. It looks easy and delicious.
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 5 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 8 tablespoons raw sugar or 8 tablespoons brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Whisk pumpkin, sugar and brown sugar in large bowl. Whisk in eggs and vanilla, then spices and salt. Bring cream just to a boil in medium saucepan. Gradually whisk cream into pumpkin mixture.
- Divide mixture among 8 5x1inch ramekins. Divide ramekins and place them into 2 roasting pans. Add enough water to come half way up the ramekins. Bake until custards are just set in center, about 35 minutes. Chill until cold. Cover and keep cold. This step can be made up to 2 days ahead of serving.
- Sprinkle one tablespoon of raw sugar over custard in each ramekin. Using kitchen torch, melt sugar until deep amber color. If using broiler to melt sugar use brown sugar instead, melting is more consistent. Refrigerate 15 minutes to allow sugar to harden. Can be made 1 hour ahead of service, keep chilled.
- This recipe can also be made using 3 inch ramekins that are 1.25 inches high. Bake for closer to 50 minutes.