Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Something a little different
- 1 small pumpkin
- 12 ounces broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 pint vegetable stock
- 200 ml milk
- Slice the top off the pumpkin.Set aside.
- Remove the seeds and stringy inside from the pumpkin. Set aside.
- Scoop out as much flesh as possible without damaging the shell and roughly chop it.
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan and saute the onions for 1-2 mins, till soft.
- Stir in the garlic, thyme and pumpkin flesh. Season.
- Pour over the stock and bring to the boil. Cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the broccoli and cook for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Blend the mixture, add the milk and heat through.
- Servein the reserved pumpkin shell.
I made this recipe a couple of weeks ago when I was experimenting with fresh pumpkin. I was not sure how it would be with chunks of pumpkin but I have to say it was amazing! It was bursting with flavor and the flavors went well. I did use coconut milk in place of milk and I think I may have added some fresh ground ginger and some cilantro on top with cheddar.
This was delicious. I was lazy and used 1 15 oz can of pumpkin puree. I kept the broccoli amount the same, but added 5 cups of broth and skipped the milk. I wanted to stretch it, and I came out with 6 generous and still thick servings. The taste was SO good. I'd like to try adding parmesan to my bowl too.