Recipe by Shannon Holmes
This is Rachael Ray's recipe and it is fabu, everyone that has tried it loves it. I have changed the original recipe and I will make notations in ()
Top Review by kda949
Yum! Yum! Yum! I love anything pumpkin, so I might be a bit biased! But DH loved it too- and he's not so into pumpkin. The kids thought it was too spicy even though I didn't add the cayenne. I might cut back on the curry powder so they can eat it too- or leave it ( I loved the curry flavor) and just make them chicken nuggets! I used half and half and will "temper" it next time (that is- put the half and half in a bowl and add some of the hot soup to the bowl slowly so the half and half warms up slowly. You add about a cup of soup to the bowl then stir the whole thing back into the pot of soup). I would do this because my half and half curdled a bit. It didn't affect the flavor but it makes it look less attractive. I will definitely make this again and again. Thanks!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (1 turn of the pan)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups canned vegetable stock, found on soup aisle (I use Vegan Chicken Broth here)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice (I use an 8 ounce can tomato sauce here)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pumpkin puree (found often on the baking aisle)
- 1 cup corn (frozen or canned, drain and rinse if canned)
- 1 cup heavy cream (I use Unsweetened Silk)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (eyeball it in the palm of your hand)
- coarse salt
- 20 sprigs fresh chives, for garnish (chopped or snipped)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a soup pot over medium heat.
- Add oil.
- When oil is hot, add onion.
- Saute onions 5 minutes.
- Add broth, tomatoes or tomato sauce, black beans, pumpkin puree and corn.
- Stir to combine ingredients and bring soup to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low and stir in cream, curry, cumin, cayenne and salt, to taste.
- Simmer 5 minutes, adjust seasonings and serve garnished with chopped chives.
- For Vegan option use Soy Cream.