Recipe by the80srule
Fall's the time for hearty stews, soups, and bisques with lots of pumpkin! I made this up so I would have something to eat for about a week with some stew left over to freeze. I use a 6-oz bag of shredded carrot that I chop even finer in my food chopper, but otherwise this requires minimal measurement. Most of the spices I just shook in but the garlic powder, onion powder, coriander, salt, and pepper were measured. Gala and golden delicious apples are the best for this.
- 1 (28 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 4 cups vegetable stock (or broth)
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 dash ground cloves
- 1 dash thyme
- 1 dash marjoram
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 15 ounces black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 golden delicious apple, cored and chopped
- 6 ounces shredded carrots
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the pumpkin and broth in a big pot together, feel free to add some butter or oil for creaminess.
- Mix the spices with the pumpkin base.
- Add the green onions, black beans, carrot, and apple pieces.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then let simmer on low heat for 30-35 minutes loosely covered. Serve with plain yogurt and toasted pumpkin seeds for garnish, with some crusty bread.