Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
I came up with this version of my creamy cheese cake just for the holidays! You can use extract instead of amaretto. You can also use any of the hard squashs as butternut or sweet potato thats been baked and mashed smooth.You can also bake in a water bath by adding 1/2 inch of water to pan. Be careful removing cake when cooked if there''s any water left.
- 473.18 ml shortbread cookies, crushed
- 59.14 ml toasted finely crushed almonds
- 78.07 ml unsalted butter, melted
- 2 (453.59 g) package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 236.59 ml packed light brown sugar
- 473.18 ml fresh pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg whites, yolks separated
- 0.59 ml cream of tartar
- 7.39 ml cinnamon
- 2.46 ml nutmeg
- 44.37 ml flour
- 118.29 ml sour cream or 118.29 ml yogurt
- 29.58 ml Amaretto or 4.92 ml almond extract
- 236.59 ml whipping cream
- 59.14 ml powdered sugar
- 2.46 ml almond extract
- fresh grated nutmeg, garnish
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a 10-inch greased springform pan, mix cookie crumbs, almonds, and melted butter.
- Using your clean fingers, press the mixture evenly onto the bottom and sides of the pan. Or better yet use a metal 1 cup measuring cup and press the crumbs evenly among the bottom and part way up the sides.
- Refrigerate till ready to fill.
- In a large bowl using electric mixer (or place directly in a food processor) whip cream cheese until smooth.
- Add in brown sugar blending until thoroughly mixed.
- Add pumpkin and add the 2 eggs one at a time, then the yolks, blending after each addition until smooth.
- Add cinnamon, nutmeg, flour, Amaretto and sour cream, pulse to blend.
- In a clean bowl beat egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed till soft peaks form.
- Fold the egg whites into the cheese mixture.
- Pour mixture into prepared crust.
- Set springform on a cookie sheet.A must.
- Bake 1 - 1 1/2 hours, till center is almost set and jiggles slightly.
- Turn off oven let cake stay in oven with oven door propped open about 8 inches.
- Till bottom and sides are completely cooled.
- Remove from oven, chill uncovered overnight in the refrigerator.
- Remove sides of pan.
- Beat cream, almond extract and sugar at high speed until soft peeks form.
- Then spread on chilled cake just before serving and sprinkle nutmeg on top.
Love it!! I have never made a cheesecake before this I must say I love it! Well done :-) I will be making this every fall
I made this for a dinner party for 12 last night and everyone loved it! I used sour cream and amaretto in the cheesecake, and also used amaretto in the topping. I think I ended up using 3 tbs of amaretto in the cheesecake, and 1 tbs in the topping. I used 2 1/4 cups of gingersnap cookies and no almonds (allergic) for the crust and it came out great. This was my first cheesecake I've ever made and although it was a little time intensive; it was not difficult to make. Very pretty with the topping; will definitely make again!
I love the shorbread cookies instead of the usual graham cracker crust. I used the sour cream and the amararetto instead of the extract and I loved the flavorings in this cheesecake. thank you for sharing this recipe. I can't wait to make this for thanksgiving.