Recipe by Rita~
I came up with this version of my creamy cheese cake just for the holidays! You can use extract instead of amaretto. You can also use any of the hard squashs as butternut or sweet potato thats been baked and mashed smooth.You can also bake in a water bath by adding 1/2 inch of water to pan. Be careful removing cake when cooked if there''s any water left.
- 2 cups shortbread cookies, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup toasted finely crushed almonds
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 cups fresh pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg whites, yolks separated
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream or 1⁄2 cup yogurt
- 2 tablespoons Amaretto or 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- fresh grated nutmeg, garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a 10-inch greased springform pan, mix cookie crumbs, almonds, and melted butter.
- Using your clean fingers, press the mixture evenly onto the bottom and sides of the pan. Or better yet use a metal 1 cup measuring cup and press the crumbs evenly among the bottom and part way up the sides.
- Refrigerate till ready to fill.
- In a large bowl using electric mixer (or place directly in a food processor) whip cream cheese until smooth.
- Add in brown sugar blending until thoroughly mixed.
- Add pumpkin and add the 2 eggs one at a time, then the yolks, blending after each addition until smooth.
- Add cinnamon, nutmeg, flour, Amaretto and sour cream, pulse to blend.
- In a clean bowl beat egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed till soft peaks form.
- Fold the egg whites into the cheese mixture.
- Pour mixture into prepared crust.
- Set springform on a cookie sheet.A must.
- Bake 1 - 1 1/2 hours, till center is almost set and jiggles slightly.
- Turn off oven let cake stay in oven with oven door propped open about 8 inches.
- Till bottom and sides are completely cooled.
- Remove from oven, chill uncovered overnight in the refrigerator.
- Remove sides of pan.
- Beat cream, almond extract and sugar at high speed until soft peeks form.
- Then spread on chilled cake just before serving and sprinkle nutmeg on top.