1 hr 30 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 medium celery ribs, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 1/2 lb pumpernickel bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes and dried overnight
- 1/2 lb rye bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes and dried overnight
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/2-1 cup turkey broth or 1/2-1 cup chicken broth, as needed
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1In a big skillet, melt butter over medium heat; add in the onion; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- 2Add in apples and celery; cook/stir until the onions are golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- 3Stir in walnuts and raisins.
- 4Transfer the onion-apple mixture to a bowl; add in pumpernickel and rye bread cubes; toss, sprinkling with apple cider.
- 5Gradually stir in about ½ cup broth, until stuffing is evenly moistened but not soggy.
- 6Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 7Transfer to a lightly buttered casserole dish, sprinkle with ½ cup broth, cover, and bake in a preheated 350° oven for 30 minutes (uncover the last 15 minutes if you want a crusty-topped stuffing).
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpernickel/Rye Bread Stuffing With Apple, Walnuts, and Raisins
Serving Size: 1 (1814 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 391.9
- Calories from Fat 201
- Total Fat 22.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.2 g
- Cholesterol 24.4 mg
- Sodium 331.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 15.2 g
- Protein 7.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: