Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Description:A moist, dark pumpernickle bread recipe for your breadmaker. From the Healthy Bread Recipe cookbook.
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups rye flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup gluten
- 1⁄4 cup powdered milk
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- Place all ingredients in the breadmaker in the order given.
- Process according to manufacturer's instructions, using the Whole Wheat setting.
- For a darker bread you can increase the cocoa up to 50%.
This is an awesome bread.I make this twice a week.I just do the mixing in bm and let it rise the second time on cookie sheet and it grows huge.Thank you!
This bread was real tasty, but for some reason it didn't make the pretties loaf I have ever made. I started to take it out of the BM and let it do the final rise on a cookie sheet and bake it in the oven, and now I wish I had. I will make this bread again, and next time I will cook in the oven. Overall, a really good recipe. I just don't have the best of luck with breadmachines.