1/1 Photo of Pulled Pork Taco
3 hrs 25 mins
From Real Simple magazine. Easy and delicious. I use pork loin, which is a leaner cut of meat than originally called for (boneless pork shoulder), but stir all the juices back in and serve with sour cream, guacamole and/or salsa and no worries about it being too dry.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs pork loin, boneless
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3/4 cup apricot jam or 3/4 cup apricot preserves
- 3 jalapenos, sliced into rings and seeded (for more heat, do not seed)
- 1 red onion, roughly chopped
- 16 small corn tortillas or 16 small flour tortillas, warmed
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- 1Heat oven to 300 degrees.
- 2Tear off 2 large sheets of aluminum foil and layer one on top of the other. Place the pork roast in the center of the foil and season all sides with salt, pepper and cumin. Spoon jam over the pork, turning to coat.
- 3Fold the double layer of foil around the pork, crimping the endes carefully to tightly seal. This is extremely important, for the juices must NOT leak out during cooking or you will have a dry roast.
- 4Place the foil-wrapped roast in a baking dish and roast until fork tender. For me this is usually about 3 hours.
- 5Remove from oven and allow to cool. Unwrap the pork and reserve the juices, onions and jalapenos. Discard the foil.
- 6Use 2 forks to shred the roast. If it is well-cooked, it should practically fall apart.
- 7Place pork in a serving bowl, pour reserved juices over meat. Add cooked onions and jalpeno rings, and toss.
- 8Serve with tortillas, cilantro, guacamole, sour cream, salsa and lime wedges if desired. (I usually do not use salsa.).
Browse Our Top Pork Loins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pulled Pork Taco
Serving Size: 1 (290 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 551.9
- Calories from Fat 229
- Total Fat 25.4 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 102.0 mg
- Sodium 762.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 14.5 g
- Protein 37.3 g