Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
From Cook This, Not That.
- 1 boneless pork shoulder (4-5 lbs)
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 4 hamburger buns
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Cut the pork into 2 or 3 pieces and season with salt and pepper. Add the oil to the pan and sear the pieces of pork until thoroughly browned on the outside. Remove the pork and place in a slow cooker.
- Add the vinegar to the hot pan and deglaze, scraping the bottom. Pour the vinegar over the pork then add the broth and liquid smoke. Set the slow cooker to high and cook for four hours until the pork falls apart. Remove the pork from the liquid and shred. Toss with a bit more vinegar and serve on top of warm buns with coleslaw.