Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 mins
Need a new pizza idea? Try this sweet and saucy Pulled Pork and Pineapple Pizza; your family will be glad you did.
- 12 rhodes dinner rolls or 8 rhodes texas rolls, thawed and risen
- 1⁄2 medium yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 18 ounces ready to eat pulled barbecued pork (such as Lloyd's or Curly's)
- 8 ounces grated mozzarella cheese
- 8 ounces pineapple tidbits, drained and juice reserved
- Spray counter lightly with non-stick cooking spray. Combine dinner rolls or Texas rolls into a ball and roll into an 11x17-inch rectangle. Place on a sprayed 11x17-inch baking pan, building up edges slightly. Poke several times with a fork and pre-bake at 350°F for 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven to cool. In a small skillet, bring juice drained from pineapple to a low boil. Boil until reduced to about 2 tablespoons. Melt the butter into the juice. Add the sugar and stir until dissolved. Slice the onion into thin slices. Add to the pineapple mixture and saute, stirring frequently, until the onions just begin to turn golden. Remove from heat and set aside. Spread your prebaked crust with the pork. Sprinkle evenly with the cheese, sauted onions and pineapple. Bake at 350°F for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is nicely melted.
This was good and easy to make, but we found it a little too sweet. The combination of the pineapple, the onions cooked in the juice and sugar and the sweetness of the BBQ sauce on the pork was a bit much. Will make again, just need to play around with it to get some of the sweetness toned down. Made for New Kids on the Block Tag February 2010.