Recipe by Olha
You may have guessed that this recipe is an adaptation of pulled pork sandwiches, a favorite barbecue recipe in which slow cooked shoulder of pork is “pulled” into shreds and reheated in a fabulous barbecue sauce; the mix is then spooned over squishy buns. To make the meal more ample, I ladle this chicken version over a mix of rice, corn, and scallions rather than over hamburger buns. I prefer thigh meat.
- 1 1⁄4 cups converted rice
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 cups canned stewed tomatoes, DRAINED and chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 2 scallions
- 1 lb cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts or 1 lb cooked skinless boneless chicken thigh
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn kernels, thawed, at room temperature
- cayenne pepper or Tabasco sauce
- sour cream, for garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the rice and water in a medium saucepan, add a pinch of salt, and bring to a simmer over medium high heat. Cover and cook over low heat until almost tender, 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the barbecue sauce, tomatoes, chicken broth, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard in a 9-inch non-reactive skillet. Slowly bring the mixture to a simmer over low heat, and cook gently, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- While the rice and sauce are cooking, trim and finely slice the scallions (green and white parts). With your fingers gently “pull” the chicken into shreds, or simply cut it into 1 x 1/4 inch lengths.
- Place the butter, corn, and scallions on top of the rice. Cover and cook until the rice is tender and the corn has heated through, another 5 minutes.
- While the rice, corn, and scallions are cooking, add the chicken to the sauce and cook, uncovered, over low heat until it is warmed through. Season with salt and cayenne pepper to taste. Mix the rice, corn, and scallions together and adjust the seasoning. Serve the chicken over the rice, and garnish with sour cream, if you wish. Makes: 4 servings. Time 25 minutes.
- Monday to Friday Chicken.