Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Cost per serving: $ 1.59. This Pulled Chicken is so simple to make, and can be versatile with lots of different dishes. If you want to give the chicken a Tex-Mex flair, drain and chop a 4-ounce can of pickled jalapenos and stir them into the sauce along with a seeded, chopped chipotle. Use the shredded chicken in burritos or to top nachos.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts or 2 lbs chicken thighs
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 (18 ounce) bottle barbecue sauce
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns (optional)
- 8 large boston lettuce leaves (optional)
- 2 cups Coleslaw
- Place chicken in slow cooker. Sprinkle with onion and garlic. Whisk together barbecue sauce, vinegar and Tabasco; pour on top. Cover and cook on low until chicken is cooked through, 5 to 6 hours. Remove chicken from slow cooker and let cool slightly; shred. Stir chicken back into sauce.
- Arrange chicken on buns or lettuce leaves, if desired. Top with coleslaw and top of buns, then serve immediately.