1/2 Photos of Pulla-Finnish Coffee Buns
3 hrs 30 mins
Traditional Finnish baking . Like a cinnamon bun but better! No icing, but cardamom gives these buns the oomph they desire. Make them and book your flight to Helsinki, where the national pastime of drinking coffee with pulla is available on every street. Just taste and see!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 cups whole milk, scalded and cooled to lukewarm temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 7 -8 whole cardamom pods, seeded and crushed (about 1 tsp)
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 8 -9 cups sifted white flour
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- demerara sugar
- 1Dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Stir in milk.
- 2Add sugar, salt , cardomom, eggs and enough flour to make a batter(about 2 cups).
- 3Beat until the dough is smooth and elastic. Add 3 cups flour, and beat well until dough is smooth and glossy.
- 4Stir in melted butter and beat again, adding the rest of the flour until a stiff dough forms.
- 5Turn out onto a lightly floured board and cover with a inverted mixing bowl. Let dough rest 15 minutes. Knead until smooth and satiny.
- 6Place dough in a lightly greased mixing bowl , turn dough to grease the top, cover lightly and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, app 1 hours.
- 7Punch down and let rise again, until almost doubled, about 30 minute.
- 8Roll out dough into a rectangle 24x36 inches. Spread with half cup of soft butter, and sprinkle with cinnamon and ground almonds.
- 9Roll up into a firm log shaped roll. Cut diagonally to make triangular shaped pieces measuring about 1 inch on one side and 2.5 inches on the other.
- 10With the side of your finger, press down the center of the rolls so the cut ends spread out, creating two ear shaped sides. Place the rolls on a greased baking sheet and let rise for 30 minute.
- 11Glaze with beaten egg , and sugar topping.
- 12Bake in hot oven (400F) 25-30 minutes. Remove when golden brown.
- 13Makes app 36 buns.
- 14Serve with coffee. Can be frozen.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pulla-Finnish Coffee Buns
Serving Size: 1 (63 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 36
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 175.9
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 37.5 mg
- Sodium 99.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 4.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole cardamom pods