Recipe by FoodieFinn
Traditional Finnish baking . Like a cinnamon bun but better! No icing, but cardamom gives these buns the oomph they desire. Make them and book your flight to Helsinki, where the national pastime of drinking coffee with pulla is available on every street. Just taste and see!
Top Review by mersaydees
These are great! While baking, your home will fill with the aroma of warmed cinnamon! I had only one problem with the recipe: the 400Â° oven temp was too hot for mine, and my first attempt came out browner than I had hoped for. I would at the very least starting checking them after the first 10 minutes or lower the temp! Also, when sprinkling on the cinnamon, I would something like a sifter to get it evenly distributed. I halved this recipe and that worked out great! Thanks, FoodieFinn! Made for Spring '09 PAC.
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 2 cups whole milk, scalded and cooled to lukewarm temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 7 -8 whole cardamom pods, seeded and crushed (about 1 tsp)
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 8 -9 cups sifted white flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup ground almonds
- demerara sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Stir in milk.
- Add sugar, salt , cardomom, eggs and enough flour to make a batter(about 2 cups).
- Beat until the dough is smooth and elastic. Add 3 cups flour, and beat well until dough is smooth and glossy.
- Stir in melted butter and beat again, adding the rest of the flour until a stiff dough forms.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured board and cover with a inverted mixing bowl. Let dough rest 15 minutes. Knead until smooth and satiny.
- Place dough in a lightly greased mixing bowl , turn dough to grease the top, cover lightly and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, app 1 hours.
- Punch down and let rise again, until almost doubled, about 30 minute.
- Roll out dough into a rectangle 24x36 inches. Spread with half cup of soft butter, and sprinkle with cinnamon and ground almonds.
- Roll up into a firm log shaped roll. Cut diagonally to make triangular shaped pieces measuring about 1 inch on one side and 2.5 inches on the other.
- With the side of your finger, press down the center of the rolls so the cut ends spread out, creating two ear shaped sides. Place the rolls on a greased baking sheet and let rise for 30 minute.
- Glaze with beaten egg , and sugar topping.
- Bake in hot oven (400F) 25-30 minutes. Remove when golden brown.
- Makes app 36 buns.
- Serve with coffee. Can be frozen.