4 hrs 30 mins
Geniale Genie's Note:
When the United-States purchased Alaska in 1867, many inhabitants of Finland left to settle in southern British Columbia. This explains why this Finnish recipe comes from Haley, BC.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat milk until it is just under boiling point.
- 2Pour into a large bowl and add 1/2 cup of sugar, salt, butter, and cardamom.
- 3Stir until butter is melted.
- 4Set aside to cool.
- 5In the meantime, dissolve 1 teaspoon of sugar into warm water.
- 6Sprinkle yeast on top.
- 7Set aside for 10 minutes.
- 8Then, stir vigorously with a fork and add to warm milk, along with the eggs.
- 9Add vigorously 2 cups of flour.
- 10Then, add 3-31/2 cups of flour.
- 11Work last part of flour with a rotating movement of the hand.
- 12Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead 8-10 minutes.
- 13Place dough in a large, generously greased, bowl.
- 14Turn over in bowl so that surface of dough is completely greased.
- 15Cover with wax paper and a damp cloth and set aside until volume has doubled (about 2 hours).
- 16Punch the dough to deflate it and divide into 3 portions.
- 17Divide each portion in 3, roll out into sticks 15 inches long and 1 inch in diameter. Braid.
- 18Repeat with two other portions.
- 19Place braids on greased cookie sheets, cover, and set aside until volume has doubled (about 1h15min).
- 20Bake 30-35 minutes at 375F .
- 21Delay 2 tablespoons of sugar into hot coffee.
- 22Brush over the bread as soon as you take it out from the oven.
- 23Sprinkle with sugar.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pulla
Serving Size: 1 (1249 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1235.4
- Calories from Fat 254
- Total Fat 28.2 g
- Saturated Fat 15.7 g
- Cholesterol 203.7 mg
- Sodium 1003.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 213.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 42.5 g
- Protein 30.0 g