Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This divine, moist and exotic dessert is a combination of coconut and spices. Traditionally cooks oven-bake puligi or steam it in an “imu”, or underground oven. In this recipe you will find other methods that allow you to prepare it easily at home. Enjoy this warm (but not hot) with vanilla ice cream, cold with hot custard or simply plain. Posted for ZWT7.
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup coconut milk
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 pinch clove (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder or 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- In a saucepan over medium heat place 1 cups sugar & allow to dissolve into syrup. Reduce heat and still stirring add coconut milk (Attention! Caramelized sugar and coconut will bubble and it’s really hot!). Don’t stop to stir until sugar is melted and the syrup is smooth. Set aside to cool.
- In a bowl mix all dry ingredients together.
- In another bowl mix all wet ingredients including coconut caramel (it you like reserve ¼ cup for the glaze) combing them well together.
- Add flour mixture to liquid mixture.
- Pour batter in a greased mold.
- Cooking method in oven with foil; Cover the butter with a greased aluminum foil and bake in pre-heated oven at 350°F/180°C for about 1 hour.
- Cooking method in oven with boiling water; Bake in pre-heated oven where you placed a fire resistant bowl with hot water at 350°F/180°C for about 45-55 minutes.
- Cooking method in steamer; This takes 1-1 ½ hours.
- Take puligi out only when ready (wooden stick test) and glaze it brushing the reserved coconut caramel (option) on it.
- Enjoy this warm (but not hot) with vanilla ice cream, cold with hot custard or simply plain.
Really, really nice. Made for My Food Odyssey American Samoa. Also had lumps in sauce, but evened out after vigorous stirring. Wish I'd remembered to buy the icecream.
ok wow this was good and the carmel was wow i did have a problem with the sugar seizing up when i put in the coconut milk, which is why i dont make any of the candy recipes i have,but as i let it cook some more with vigorous stirring and prayers t above ,it smoothed out . and is AWESOME the cake is spicy which i love good recipe !!!