Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
This bread recipe is from the pacific islands (Samoa). It's texture and fragrance is like no other bread around and is typically eaten as a dessert with hot custard sauce or plain.
- 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 5 tablespoons cinnamon
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 2 (12 ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- *In a saucepan over medium heat place 2 cups sugar & allow to dissolve into syrup. Turn heat down to simmer & slowly add 2 cups water (same time stirring with whisk. BE CAREFUL! Sugar mixture & water will cause a very hot steam to errupt. You may blow towards mixture while constantly stirring until all water is incorporated.) then vanilla.
- *Mix flour, baking soda & cinnamon. Set aside.
- *Cream sugar & butter, then add eggs, milk & water.
- *Add flour mixture to butter mixture.
- *Add burnt sugar mixture to creamed sugar & butter mixture; mix well.
- *Pour batter in 2 bundt pans that are sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- *Cover with foil and bake in pre-heated oven at 350-deg. for about 1 hour.
- *Allow to cool 30 min.*.