1/1 Photo of Pulau Nepalese Basmati Rice Dish
Kitchen Mama of 3's Note:
This is an amazing rice side dish with complex flavors, but simple prep! It has a sweet and salty element to it and the spices will make your kitchen SING! Originally made for a Girl Scout function, but EVERYONE loved it and it is now a family favorite! (Found on a Nepali website.) Also re-heats easily. The golden raisins add the most delicious bit of sweet to the rice!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash the rice several times and let it soak for 30 minutes.
- 2Drain the rice well in a sieve.
- 3Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-low heat and cook onion until soft.
- 4Add all ingredients & spices, (except salt) to the pan and stir fry for 2 minutes over medium heat.
- 5Add 2 cups of water to the pan with salt and bring to a boil then cover tightly and.
- 6turn the heat to low.
- 7Simmer for 20 minutes, adding additional water during cooking, if necessary, until rice is tender and fluffy and all the water is absorbed.
- 8Remove bay leaf, cloves and cinnamon sticks before serving.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pulau Nepalese Basmati Rice Dish
Serving Size: 1 (99 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 358.0
- Calories from Fat 133
- Total Fat 14.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 515.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 7.7 g
- Protein 7.1 g