Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Submited for ZWT 8 this is a traditional Indian dish
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron thread
- 3 black peppercorns
- 2 -3 cloves
- 2 -3 cardamoms
- 2 teaspoons coriander leaves
- Rinse the rice twice under running water and let it soak for 10 minute.
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottom pan. Add the cardamoms, cloves and peppercorns and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add the rice and stir-fry for 3 minutes.
- Add the salt, saffron threads, and water to the rice mixture and reduce the heat. Cover the pan and let simmer over low heat for 20 minutes, or until all water has evaporated. Transfer the rice to serving dish. Serve hot.
Sorry, this one didn't work for us. Very bland. Called for oil and water but no amounts given. And doesn't say what to do with the coriander. I would use chicken broth instead of water for more flavor and I assume the cardamom meant pods and not seeds, and should be crushed. I would double all of the spices. Made for ZWT8.
I liked this rice a lot but my DH thought it was only okay. I thought it went well with the spicy Indian food and smelled very good to boot.
Loved this rice! It was the perfect accompaniment for our spicy Indian meal. Made for ZWT8 - India. Thanks for posting!