Recipe by Missy Wombat
A Tongan version of a rice dish from the cookbook produced by the American Peace Corps in Tonga
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups rice
- 3 cardamom seeds
- 6 cloves
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, blanched
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 pieces mace
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch saffron
- 4 inches cinnamon sticks
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter and add the rice.
- Brown it well without scorching it.
- Add the cardamom, cloves, raisins, almonds, sugar, salt and saffron.
- Stir in the pan for about 1 minute.
- Cover with water, add the cinnamon and bring to the boil.
- Boil for 1 minute and then lower the heat to simmer very gently in a covered saucepan.
- Cook until the rice is tender, adding water a little at a time, should liquid become absorbed before rice is cooked.