Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is supposed to be a personal recipe of Andrew Zimmern, host of the TV show Bizarre Foods.
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh oysters, shucked and chopped oyster liquor included
- 1⁄2 lb dungeness crabmeat, cooked and cleaned
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk, plus more if necessary
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons scallions, minced
- 2 cups freshly scraped corn kernels, mashed
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper, minced
- Heat 3 inches deep of vegetable oil to 375 degrees F in your favorite deep frying pan.
- Combine the wet ingredients in one bowl.
- Combine the dry ingredients in another bowl.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients with a spatula. You won’t need more milk if you're using a lot of oyster liquor.
- The batter should be a little stiffer than cake batter, but not as thick as cookie or bread dough.
- Drop large spoonfuls of the batter into the oil. Fry until golden brown.