Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A delicious, savory biscuit from the Western chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Bake in individual rolls as directed or in one whole roll, either with or without the sauce.
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening or 1⁄2 cup lard
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 small onion, peeled and minced
- 2 (10 ounce) cans minced clams, drained (you're looking for two cups of clam meat)
- 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cheese, grated
- 1 cup tomato soup
- Preheat oven to 400F and grease a baking sheet.
- Sift first three ingredients together; cut in shortening.
- Add milk to make a soft dough.
- Place on a floured surface and roll to 1/4" in thickness.
- Combine clams,onion, bread crumbs, salt and 1/2 cup of grated cheese.
- Moisten slightly with some of the tomato soup.
- Mix well and spread mixture on dough.
- Roll as for a jelly roll and slice 1 1/2" thick.
- Place on prepared baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes.
- Heat remaining soup, pour over hot rolls and garnish with grated cheese.