I recently found this recipe -- I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds like it will make a light, fresh dessert that I think my family will enjoy.
- 453.59 g frozen strawberries, partially thawed
- 118.29 ml strawberry jelly
- 473.18 ml fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 240.97 g package frozen puff pastry, thawed (1 sheet)
- 118.29 ml water
- 14.79 ml cornstarch
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 2.46 ml cream of tartar
- 6 egg whites
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 8 fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Blend or process frozen strawberries and jelly until smooth. Stir in sliced berries; cover and refrigerate.
- Roll pastry to 12x10 inches; cut in eight rectangles. Place pastry rectangles 1 inch apart on large baking sheet; pierce with fork tines. Cover with second baking sheet. Bake 6 minutes. Remove top baking sheet; bake 4 minutes more. Remove from oven; let stand on sheet. Reduce oven to 325 degrees.
- For meringue, mix 1/2 cup water and cornstarch. Put in small saucepan and cook over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat; cool slightly. In bowl combine sugar and cream of tartar; set aside. In large mixing bowl beat egg whites and vanilla on medium to high speed until frothy. Gradually beat in sugar mixture until soft peaks form. Add cornstarch mixture; beat to stiff peaks. Spoon on pastry; bake meringue 15 minutes. Serve pastries warm with sauce. Top each piece with a fresh whole strawberry, dabbing a bit of the sauce on the meringue, under the strawberry, to keep the whole berry in place.