Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
My DH did not like french toast until I found this recipe in an old book. Now he loves it. it works best with day old bread.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 beaten egg
- 8 slices white bread
- Stir dry ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- In another bowl, blend milk and egg.
- Add milk and egg mixture gradually to dry mixture. Beat until smooth.
- Dip bread slices in batter. Turn to coat both sides evenly.
- Fry in greased skillet until golden brown on both sides.
- Serve with syrup if desired.
This is, by far, the best French Toast I've ever had! I grew up on ole "fried bread", but, it sure never tasted like this! Really, really good, Angelfan. Thanks for posting a winner! LC
Me and my husband loved this. I used half whole wheat half enriched white flour, vanilla soy milk, splenda instead of sugar, egg beaters, and whole wheat bread. This was a yummy addition to our weekend big breakfast! Thank you for the recipe.
This French Toast is absolutely amazing! We loved it! Sort of a cross between French toast and pancakes. Tastes great with the hint of cinnamon and nutmeg, and it's so sweet that I hardly needed any syrup. I just wish I could figure out how to cut this recipe in half (how do you divide an egg?) since there's only two of us. I would give this recipe 6 stars if I could! UPDATE: Made this again using only half the sugar -- it was still great, so I think I'll make it like this in the future. I may even try using half whole wheat flour.