Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Preparation time does not include refrigeration time.
- 8 slices white bread
- 8 ounces old English cheese
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 cups milk
- May be prepared the day before.
- At least 4 hours before cooking, trim crusts and cut bread into 1 inch squares. Cut cheese into bite size pieces.
- In a large greased casserole, alternate layers of bread and cheese. Pour melted butter over top.
- Beat eggs well, stir in salt, pepper, mustard and milk, and combine thoroughly.
- Pour egg mixture over casserole; cover and refrigerate four hours or overnight.
- One hour before serving, bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit, 30 minutes covered, then 30 minutes uncovered until top is golden and puffy.
- Serve immediately while it is still hot.