Recipe by Irmgard
This recipe was originally made with pears and cardamon, which isn't a bad combination, but since my family loves apples and cinnamon, I decided to try making with those ingredients, with very good results. We like it with sausage or bacon, but it is equally good on its own with maple syrup.
Top Review by VegSocialWorker
This was yummy but super sweet. I think that I'll cut down on the sugar next time by a little. It also fell apart during the flipping so it did not look so great- and I'm pretty sure that I did it correctly. I'd like to try it next time without that step. There's got to be a way! Thank you for sharing this recipe. It was perfect for fresh in-season apples.
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 apples, peeled,cored and thinly sliced
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy, ovenproof 8-inch skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add apples slices and cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes or just until softened.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, place 1/2 cup of the sugar, all of the flour, milk, eggs, vanilla, 1/4 tsp.
- of the cinnamon and salt.
- Beat with a rotary beater or wire whisk just until blended.
- In a small bowl, mix together the remaining sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
- Pour the batter over the apple slices and bake in a 425 degree F oven for about 15 minutes or until the batter sets.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Run a thin spatula around the edges of the skillet and with two spatulas, gently turn over the pancake.
- (Alternatively, cover the skillet with a large plate and invert; slide the pancake back into the skillet.) Sprinkle the top with the reserved sugar and cinnamon mixture and bake for 10 to 15 minutes longer or until puffy and golden brown and a tester inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Turn out onto a warm plate and cut into wedges to serve.
- Serve with whipped cream, creme fraiche, sour cream or maple syrup.